Wilkinson Boulevard VFD
The Wilkinson Boulevard Volunteer Fire Department was the first volunteer fire department to form in Mecklenburg County. History has tracked this departments activities as far back as 1943 when they responded to fires with a hose cart that was located in a small building directly across from the BBQ King on Wilkinson Boulevard. After the war, the WBVFD constructed a fire station across from the old Park-N-Shop on Wilkinson Boulevard near Old Steele Creek Road. Due to Charlotte annexations the department relocated to Little Rock Road near Wilkinson Boulevard in 1960. They remained here until further Charlotte annexations forced them to close in 1984 and merge with Moores Chapel VFD to become West Mecklenburg VFD.